A Keek at Auld Wilton –
juist owre the Teviot frae Hawick.

Ian Landles
23rd March, 2011

President Murray Dickson welcomed members and friends of the Old Gala club to the meeting in the upper Volunteer Hall on 23rd March 2011.

The meeting began with a brief slide presentation of before and after images of the restored street lamp, which has now been returned to Tweed Crescent.

Murray then introduced the speaker for the evening, Ian Landles and presented him with a stone, which is engraved 1795 – 1959.  This was from the former Wilson & Glenny Mill, which was destroyed by fire in 1959 and rebuilt in 1961.  The stone was found in the Co-op in Channel Street and it was agreed that it should be returned to Hawick.

The title of Ian’s illustrated talk was “A keek at Auld Wilton – juist owre the Teviot frae Hawick”.

Wilton is on the North side of the Teviot and was integrated with Hawick in 1861.  Mills and housing for the workers were built in the area, which also had a church, graveyard and a school.  Much of the early building has been demolished but Ian’s pictures gave an impression of how the area had been developed.

The railway arrived in Hawick in 1849 and this aided the expansion of the town and the wool industry.  The Dickson & Laing mill, which was opened in 1811 and rebuilt after a fire in 1867, had a clock tower, which was a prominent feature of this building.

Ian reflected on some Hawick personalities including Bill McLaren and the Foundation established in his memory to help young sportsmen and women.

Ivan Laing, a hockey player who played in the Olympics of 1908, went on to serve in the Great War and was killed in France in 1917 whilst serving with the Coldstream Guards.

Isobel Bailie, the daughter of a master baker and esteemed Scottish soprano was born in Princes Street.

James Hogg who wrote the song “Teribus” was also from Wilton.

In a humorous and interesting talk, which included poetry and song, Ian gave a glimpse of Wilton and its history. The final images were of the Wilson & Glenny mill on fire in 1959.

Back